Sunday, September 29, 2013

Crunch Time


This picture of Linds sums up our current mind frame: stressing, trying not to get sick, and making the most out of studio time.

And there's this other thing we've got called art history, seminar, and the classes we teacher assist.  I've been here a month and I still have to remind myself what time those classes meet.

The cardboard installation piece turned out to be a bust.  We had our first open studio and I presented that work.  I didn't get negative responses, I didn't get many responses at all which I took as negative, but from hearing myself talk about it, I knew I was done with it.  Done as in, I put that out there, I'm not in to it, moving on.  The painter Dana Saulnier was a guest speaker at the gallery here a couple weeks ago.  One thing he said that struck a chord was, "You know when something is working or not.  It's if shit, you know it and you say, 'I did it, it's out of me now and I can move forward and work on something different.'"

I knew coming here and having absolute freedom to create whatever I wanted would be a challenge.  You'd probably think differently but sculpture is so open that it's overwhelming.  We aren't painters, already supplied with paint, brushes, and canvas.  Anything can be our canvas.  Where do you even begin?  

I was encouraged to step outside of my comfort zone with metal and go in new directions.  This has scared me to death, so much so that I'm not producing nearly as much work as I should.  And not only that, I'm surrounded by other artists.  I see what they're doing and feel intimidated by the amount of creativity pumping through this place.  My destructive fear has become my closest friend.  Even though there's really no room for that in creativity.

Midterms are about two weeks away.  My plans are to make two to three pieces.  One being a hanging quilt made out of pine needles that connects to a baby blanket at the bottom, which would fall to the floor.  The other piece may be made out of clay, wax, or fabric.  Or maybe all three.  Variations and trials are good.  The good thing is that nothing has to be completely finished by then.  That should be comforting but it's not!

We are strongly encouraged to keep up with other artists, especially contemporary work.  This is a good thing to do as it probably helps when you discuss your own work.  However, it ends up being on the bottom of my to do list.  And maybe that's why I'm still struggling with how I talk about my work.  I definitely feel like I'm the weakest in the bunch as far as that goes, and as far as theoretical knowledge.  I don't bring a lot to the table.  But I do listen.  That's my strong suite I think.  And I have a couch in my studio that people sit on.  I provide that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment