Monday, April 29, 2013

Diapers

I have a theory that people are either a "baby person" or an "old people person" depending on who they work best with.  I'm not much of either but this last week I've had dealings with both.

Our family grew a little bigger with a new addition, baby Graham.  It's always awkward when you go see a newborn in a hospital.  Do I ask to hold the baby?  Is the mom going  to be funny about it since it's new?  Do I hug her? Is she sore? (What happens down there anyway?) I never know.  Thankfully my cousin asked if I wanted to hold him.  I did and I didn't drop him and he didn't cry from sheer terror.

Speaking of birthdays, May Moo had her second birthday party.  I can't believe she is two. She is  absolutely full of herself at this age.  She's ninety miles an hour and has the biggest smile.  She's also about to be a big sister! 

 Another cousin, Natilyee, came to May's party.  She sat in my lap almost the whole time.  What's with these kids? 


My dealings with "old folks" have been my grandparents.  They're finally in an assisted living facility and I'm so thankful.  I know my papa isn't that happy about it and my grandma has dimentia so she thinks she is going home every day.  It's a tough situation but I know it's for the best.

I've been cleaning up their house and going through stuff.  I came across more pictures.  I don't remember if I've posted these or not but here they are again:


My dad and papa

My grandma would describe her size as "skinny as a minute!"
Baby me and Papa

It's hard to watch a grown person change in to a child again.  I've been watching it with my grandma for a while now.  Papa is starting to get that way as well.  It's worse with him because he is more aware than my grandmother is.  He knows he is aging to the point that he cannot take care of either of them anymore. 

Through all of this I haven't been terribly upset about it because I know what they need and what is going to be the best for them.  Or maybe it's because I can distance myself emotionally in order to get done what needs to be done.  I also don't want them to see me upset because then it's harder on them.  I've been frustrated to the point of becoming "upset" but, thank God, some wonderfully helpful people have been helping me with all of this. 

The sermon on Sunday seemed to really tie in with all that has been going on, new life and old life.  That verse in 1st Timothy about coming into this world with nothing and leaving with nothing was mentioned.  I've thought about that quite a bit and it just makes me want to simplify everything in my own life.  How do we acquire so much stuff, tangibly and emotionally?  Hearing that verse and seeing these lives in front of me has helped me to worry less because what does most of this wordly "stuff" matter in the long run?  One day I too will be in a home only needing a few pairs of clothes and some diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment