Thursday, April 25, 2013

Decision Made

As I'm busy looking online for housing in August, it occurred to me that I hadn't posted my decision about where I'm going for grad school! 

Cue drum roll...



That's right.  I don't want to say I'll be a tiger because that encompasses everything football, which had absolutely nothing to do with my decision.  The list of pros for Clemson simply outweighed the list for Winthrop.  Also, Winthrop was an experience I've already had (remember that darkest year of my life? ...yeah).  When I transferred from Winthrop to Lander in undergrad, I always wished that I'd gone to Clemson instead.  Not that I didn't enjoy Lander but I think now that maybe it was God's plan to keep me at there because he knew I'd end up at Clemson down the road.  And I don't want to get in to why Winthrop wasn't for me because that experience and those opinions are mine and I wouldn't want to sway anyone else's thoughts about the place.  The bottom line is that I went with my gut, with what felt right in my soul.

I'm most excited about the studio I'll be getting, the other students I'll be working with (some of whom I met), the freedom with the kind of work and medium I'll be using, and the freedom to exhibit pretty much anywhere on campus that gets the okay.  While I was visiting last week, I saw a couple sculptures by undergrads that were exhibited in and out of the buildings.  When I asked about this they said that as long as the facility people okay what you want to do, you're free to do whatever.  There is also a lot of collaboration with the architect students because they're in the same building.  I think this will be interesting for me as a sculptor to compare and contrast something that I would create for form  with something someone else would create for function. 

The overall emotion I feel with Clemson is excitement.  I'm excited to get back in a studio and a workshop and use my hands and tools to create something.  It's been way too long!  I'm not scared of MFA graduate school anymore.  And that feeling proves to me that I've made the right choice. 

See ya in August, tigertown! 

No comments:

Post a Comment