Friday, August 10, 2012

Musical adventures

This summer has been a good one for concerts.  Earlier this summer CB and I double-dated with these "old folks" to go see Counting Crows. 


A not-so-close view of Adam Duritz on piano.  The first time I saw them in concert was my freshman year of college at Winthrop.  My high school best friends bought second row tickets at the concert in Charlotte for my birthday.  It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.  They played with Goo Goo Dolls and it was incredible.  I thought there was some irony in the fact that my uber religious, straight laced friend at the time bought tickets to a show that passed the peace pipe as soon as they sound checked.  Nevertheless, we all had a good time and got on the giant screen a few times when they scanned the crowd.  And John Rzeznik winked at me and I came unglued.

Last Friday night I traveled with mama and the aunts to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers.  Another not-so-great photo of Lynyrd Skynyrd opening:
I've always liked their music but never owned any albums.  But I've got to say, they put on a great show.  I'm sorry to say that they outshined the Allman Brothers.  Musically, they were spot on.  They also interacted with the crowd, which I appreciate since I spend about $30 on tickets, $12 for a pint, and $40 for a tshirt.  Priorities though, right?

The Allman Brothers will always be one of my favorite bands but I was a bit disappointed in their show.  They played wonderfully (a little longwinded but, hey, that's a jam band for you) but for it to have been pouring down and as much money was spent on seeing them, I expected a little more.  A "Thanks for sticking it out in the rain for us!" would have been great. But I've chalked it up to the fact the Gregg Allman seems to be a quiet guy when he isn't singing.  And Derek Trucks?  Well, I've seen him twice and never saw his mouth move. (I'm not complaining; I still think he is amazing.) 

They did a beautiful version of "Into the Mystic" which melted my heart and sort of made up for any bad feelings I had about the show overall. 

Mama and the Aunts. 

 These are the kind of pictures I get on my phone when the Aunt who can barely check her voicemail uses a smart phone.
Anytime I've gone to a concert or on a trip with Mama and the Aunts, adventure and a crazy experience is sure to ensue.  For instance, here's a girl that was sitting on our row when I came back from the bathroom.  Her name was Alli and, apparently, her boyfriend was being a tool and talking to her like a dog.  So Mama turns around and tells her, "No ma'am, you aren't putting up with that!  Come up here and have a good time with us."  So she did and a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment