Friday, March 2, 2012

This is what I get for skimming

The Grammy's were on a couple of weeks ago. The two biggest highlights weren't featured on television but still deserve recognition:







My beloved Susan Tedeschi along with the rest of the Tedeschi Trucks Band won for best blues album with "Revelator" (exceptional album, exceptional concert experience).







Tony Bennett and the late Amy Winehouse won for best pop duo for their song "Body and Soul". Although her posthumous album will be a staple in my collection, the what-could-have-been music and the old Amy will be missed.

(Isn't Tony handsome? He's even more wonderful in real life.)



If you watched the Grammy's then you probably saw, apart from the ridiculousness of Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt singing together. Not that I don't love Alicia, but Bonnie never needs help. She's recently covered Gerry Rafferty's, "Right down the line" and it is just heavenly. Her bluesy tones and soulful voice seem to get better with age.


So what is one reminded to do upon seeing one of their favorite artists on tv? Looks up tour dates. I tried to see her last year but it was right before her father died so she ended up cancelling. But how overjoyed was I when I saw that not only would Bonnie be coming to Charlotte but that Mavis Staples would be joining her.



I was first introduced to this wonderful lady, along with the rest of the Staple Singers, when I bought Martin Scorsese's,"The Last Waltz" documenting The Band. When she sang The Weight, I got chills. I purchased Mavis's latest album, produced by Jeff Tweedy, some time last year. You should get it, she makes religious music cool.
I marked June 12th down in the calendar and went about ordering tickets. Well, I tried to.




Due to my reading skills of a careless college student, I had skimmed the tour dates and didn't read completely that it is actually in CharlotteSVILLE, VA.






Bummer. Maybe the third time's the charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment