Monday, July 30, 2012

Are you there sculpture? It's me, Ali

At the beginning of every week, on Monday morning, I do three things:  1) Have the breakfast of champions: coffee and homemade banana nut bread, 2) Search for jobs, 3) Think/worry about sculpture and usually google grad schools.

This weekend a friend told me he could get me a job at this new bar/restaurant up town.  I was all for it until I strolled in there one night just to see the atmosphere.  Not so good.  Loud, obnoxious and obliterated college aged people and waitresses in super tiny jorts.  Not to be a snob, but I don't deal with that very well.  I loved bartending in the past but that was mainly because my customers were older adults.  And I never had to clean up anyone's puke.

So thanks, friend, but I'm going to keep searching.

I've neglected any form of creating (other than baked goods) the past few weeks mostly due to teaching summer camp.  Now that it's over I have a whole host of ideas to process and work out.  Most of these pieces require tools that I don't have.  So I'll have to put those on my workshop/audit/student worker list for the fall. 

I've felt like a bum for not getting any work done lately, and I fear I will have lost whatever sculpture mentality (technical and conceptual) that I've previously built up.  Hopefully not.  The pressure and desire to make is always with me.  Unfortunately, "real life" fills the creative gaps. 

But now is the time to make and take time.  To weed out real life nonsense and fill it with a sense of passion and creativity.  And I need something to show for this summer besides crummy teacher examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment