Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ketchup

Hi.  It's been awhile.  Time has been moving along rapidly but I've finally reached a standstill.  If not for a moment, anyway.
Here are some things you missed:

Sayrah and I visited the Catfish Festival.  You know the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?" Well, when in Ware Shoals, do not do as the Ware Shoalians do.  We skipped the catfish and fled after finding the the homespun ice cream was, indeed, too close to home when it was made.

Unfortunately I lost the great picture of the what-would-have-been fountain in the center of the festival with millions of tadpoles (and probably some crawdads) living there. 
I'm usually down for anything, and I love a good festival.  But I must admit, I won't be returning to any one with catfish in the title.

I haven't had to do much traveling to and fro lately.  Update on Papa: He is still in the rehab hospital and my grandma has been staying at an assisted living place near their home.  He will go home in about a week and my sister has decided to basically give up her life to take care of them.  Unselfish? Yes.  Was I involved in this decision? No. The right thing to do? Maybe. Maybe not.  Sigh.  Time will tell.  Let's just pray for the best, and for honesty and faith in others.

The first day on the lake:

Everyone made fun of how often CB and I lathered on the sunscreen.  Notice my over protection?  Yes, I'm wearing at least a 30 or 45 (but you could probably tell from the picture, right?).  It's funny, I wear minimal make-up, I prefer hair that I don't have to do anything with but shampoo, I'm pretty low-maintenance (okay, maybe not when it comes to dresses or shoes).  But isn't it funny how ridiculously cautious I am when it comes to my skin?  Sunscreen every day, always sunglasses, a hat when I'm outside, moisturize every night.  Mama teases me relentlessly about being powder.  The truth is I'm not conceited. Both of my grandmothers had skin cancer.  One was a major tanner.  (One of my favorite stories is of her tanning topless with a foil visor around her face and Preacher Johnny unexpectedly driving up).  I'm trying to eliminate any possibility that I might also get it.  And of course it won't hurt to (hopefully) look 30 when I'm 50.  But I think I've got pretty good genes in that department. 

Speaking of genes, Mama found out she has celiac disease.  So what am I trying to do?  Start a gluten free diet.  The first thing I've noticed about anything gluten free is that it's almost twice the price of any regular item.  That seems so telling of the world that we live in, the things that are natural, that are better for you, are double the cost compared to over processed crap.  I'll be able to keep up the diet if I get another job. 

 (Not naked) CB.
 Mama
Roomie
Peaks of the Weeks:
We're getting a new preacher in 3 weeks.  The current preacher won't be leaving on good terms, but he will be leaving.  And I'm stoked.

The mane is getting cut on Thursday.  I have missed you, short hair, and I eagerly await our reunion.

Finished a few new sculptures....pics to come.

My spine is behaving well, according to the chiropractor. 

Keep your fingers crossed that I get this second part-time job I've applied for.

The next few weekends are booked with exciting things. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment