Monday, August 5, 2013

Inconceivable!

WOW is the only way I know to describe last week, followed by a heavy sigh.  You know those days or weeks where everything that could fall apart kind of does?  That was my week.  But, thankfully, it almost all fell back together in it's place.

I got everything moved in to the house in Clemson and left to officially live there on Sunday.  I'd previously been there painting, thinking that would make a huge difference in the dump.  Once I got that Sunday I was so overwhelmed by all of my stuff as well as the stuff that my landlord had had 2 months to fix but had not done so.  So of course, like a girl, I had a meltdown and ended up packing my bags and Cedar and I stayed at a hotel for the night.  On a side note, staying in a hotel is one of my favorite things to do.  It's a vacation without really going anywhere.  There's also free cable and breakfast.  And bathtubs.

The next day I decided I could not stay at that house.  The landlord was etch-a-sketch and it was just a hot mess.  Yes, I knew this from the start and it was definitely my mistake by renting the place to begin with.  So I told him I couldn't stay and I wanted out of my lease.  We hee hawed a bit but agreed if I could find someone else to live there then I could get out of my lease and get my deposit back.  Within a couple days a guy (a carpenter) responded to the rent sign and signed the lease.  That meant I had to get all of my stuff out by that day in order to get my full deposit.  This was a Thursday.  People work on Thursdays and I don't know anyone well enough here to ask for help moving.

Thank God for my good friend Doug McAbee.  He's an amazing professor, a great artist, and an overall awesome human being.  You should check him out: www.dougmcabee.com He came and we got everything in a Uhaul (my second Uhaul of the week).  And I have a lot of junk so it was a major feat.

From there I drove the 27 foot Uhaul back to my cousin's house where I've been staying in Simpsonville and had to unload everything in her garage because someone needed the Uhaul in Easley the next day. 

In the mix I also started my new job the next day.  It was good but I hardly had time to think about it what with everything else going on.  My first day there I went to the bank after I got off and guess what?  The belt came off of my engine (or whatever it is that belts go on under the hood).  Thank God for these two guys (who were also carpenters, not the theme here?) that happened to be there and helped me.  One even drove to advance auto for me to see if they had what I needed.  I called my mom after and was crying (of course) but this time it was because I was so happy and thankful that not only did they helped me, they didn't take the money I offered them because, as one said, "We need more people in the world that just help each other."  They got the belt on and then I ended up having to take it to a dealership the next day to get a new compressor.  Which I don't even want to say how much that cost.

So here we are.  I'm staying with my pregnant cousin, her husband, their 2.5 year old, and five dogs (along with Cedar).  But you know what, it's exactly where I need to be right now and I'm just so thankful that she's gracious enough to let me crash here until I find a place.

I don't know why these kind of things happen the way they do but I've taken it as a test of faith and a compliment that the Lord knows I could handle it because I rely on him so heavily.  He's also pretty witty, sending me the three carpenters to save me.  He's sent me the right people and I know he will send me to the right place in his timing.  So I'll trust that and try to enjoy sleeping on the cot in the nursery at Tiff's house.



2 comments:

  1. you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means!

    ReplyDelete